We are delighted to announce the launch of the South Yorkshire Tech 100, a new report highlighting the extraordinary growth and promise of the tech startup ecosystem in South Yorkshire.
In this new report, we highlight the 100 hottest startups across Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield. The South Yorkshire region is now home to more than 3,000 tech startups, and business birth rates are growing again post-COVID.
Among the key findings contained in the report, which can be downloaded here:
- Investment in South Yorkshire’s early-stage tech companies has doubled in the last four years.
- Data from analysts Beauhurst reveals that the region’s tech startups secured equity funding totalling more than £52.6m in the first ten months of 2022.
- This is 42 per cent more than in all of 2021 (£37m) and 129 per cent up on the £23m recorded in 2019, when Beauhurst started tracking investment activity in the region.
- The report reveals South Yorkshire is now home to at least 3,000 active tech startups and growing clusters of AI, Data Analytics, IoT, NetZero and EdTech companies.
- More than 400 tech companies have already been formed in South Yorkshire this year, 14 per cent more than in all of 2021, as business birth rates start to rebound following the COVID pandemic.
The South Yorkshire Tech 100 lists the region’s hottest startups and scaleups. It includes the most successful tech companies born since the start of 2000 with headquarters in South Yorkshire and emerging startups with tremendous growth potential.
Between them, companies on the South Yorkshire Tech 100 employ almost 4,000 people and have raised more than £720M in funding.